When people go on house hunting, the kitchen is one of the first places they would look for and inspect the most. It is also what adds the most to the value of your house. That is why it is important to always make it look nice and upgraded if anything.
One of the things you can work on is the cabinets. If your house is older, there is a big chance that those are made of oak. It would look outdated at this time, but you can still work on it. How would you make it work in this modern time?
1. Paint and Stain
You can stain it to bring back the beauty of it. You can have a different one that will make it look modern. You can also paint it. You can even choose colors that are neutral if you want to maintain its traditional look but still look modern. Before you either do one, you will need to re-sand it to make it smoother. If you are choosing for paint though, make sure to have one that will be right for the oak.
This pertains to the handles and knobs of the cabinet. It will be a big change for your cabinets. It is said that old ones do not really have one, so by installing, it will be an upgrade on its own. But what you can also do is to have the modern looking ones. It is often in gold or black, but you can also look for something that will suit more your taste and your kitchen while still giving it an upgrade.
3. Crown Molding
With crown molding, you will just add another element in your cabinet, and it will look different. You can also paint it to match the “crown.” Just keep in mind that it is not easy to install one, so you would need some help from professionals with this even with the painting.
Things to Consider:
- In updating your cabinets, keep in mind your surroundings meaning your kitchen. You should take a look at the overall decor of your kitchen, and ask if you will update your cabinets, will it match the look?
- Appliances are also a big deal. If it is mostly stainless or silver, it will be easier for you because you do not really have to match, and those go with any kind of color. If it is with different colors though like black, white, or any other color, you will have to consider it and will need some matching for your kitchen.
- You will need to look out if the cabinet needs some fixing aside from updating it.
- Having the right lighting will also affect how your cabinets will look, so make sure to choose the right one.
- If all else fails, you might need to consider renovating your whole kitchen. That way, it will be easier to plan when it comes to matching together. You will also get to decide which will stay and which will be changed.